Current:Home > MyMaine’s supreme court overrules new trial in shooting of Black man -FinTechWorld
Maine’s supreme court overrules new trial in shooting of Black man
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 19:36:26
PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — Maine’s supreme court on Thursday reversed an order for a new trial for a Portland man who was convicted of manslaughter for shooting his sister’s boyfriend.
A judge last year vacated Mark Cardilli Jr.’s 2019 manslaughter conviction and granted a new trial after concluding that his trial attorneys provided inadequate counsel. Cardilli was freed on bail after the judge’s decision.
Now, Cardilli faces the possibility of going back to prison to complete the remainder of his 7 1/2-year sentence. His lawyer, Thomas Hallett, said he and Cardilli were “deeply disappointed” and were reviewing his legal options.
Cardilli testified that he fatally shot Isahak Muse in self-defense during a confrontation that escalated after Muse refused to leave the Cadilli family’s home when asked by the parents. Cardilli was 24 at the time, and Muse was 22.
The shooting caused tension in Portland’s Muslim community, with some calling it a hate crime by a white man against a Black Muslim.
But Cardill’s attorneys argued that the case was not about race or religion but about the limits of state self-defense law.
The confrontation happened when Muse, who was dating Cardilli’s 17-year-old sister, refused to leave after a 1 a.m. curfew set by the parents. Muse was barred by the sister’s bail conditions from being in her presence, court documents indicated.
Pandemonium broke out, and Cardilli retrieved a handgun. Cardilli said he was assaulted by Muse and feared for his life when he pulled the trigger.
veryGood! (26)
Related
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Cristian Măcelaru to become music director of Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra in 2025-26
- Caitlin Clark set to sign massive shoe deal with Nike, according to reports
- Secret army of women who broke Nazi codes get belated recognition for WWII work
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Suspect in break-in at Los Angeles mayor’s official residence charged with burglary, vandalism
- Biden administration expands overtime pay to cover 4.3 million more workers. Here's who qualifies.
- Erik Jones to miss NASCAR Cup race at Dover after fracturing back in Talladega crash
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Youngkin will visit Europe for his third international trade mission as Virginia governor
Ranking
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Supreme Court to weigh Trump immunity claim over 2020 election prosecution. Here are the details.
- Glen Powell admits Sydney Sweeney affair rumors 'worked wonderfully' for 'Anyone But You'
- Columbia says encampments will scale down; students claim 'important victory': Live updates
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Khloe Kardashian Has Welcomed an Adorable New Member to the Family
- New music from Aaron Carter will benefit a nonprofit mental health foundation for kids
- Watch this basketball coach surprise his students after his year-long deployment
Recommendation
House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
2021 death of young Black man at rural Missouri home was self-inflicted, FBI tells AP
‘Pathetic, Really, and Dangerous’: Al Gore Reflects on Fraudulent Fossil Fuel Claims, Climate Voters and Clean Energy
IndyCar disqualifies Josef Newgarden, Scott McLaughlin from St. Pete podium finishes
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Why U.S. officials want to ban TikTok
Shohei Ohtani showcases the 'lightning in that bat' with hardest-hit homer of his career
A look at the Gaza war protests that have emerged on US college campuses